Looking for a place where you can do great design work, see your ideas launched, and truly help people? Look no further, at Healthcare Human Factors, we are a team of a passionate designers, engineers, and scientists, dedicated to transforming health. We strive to make healthcare so intuitive, safe, and supportive, that it no longer requires effort to access, navigate, and benefit from… so that the system as we know it becomes invisible.
We’re looking for a Senior Service Designer to join our team and work with our partners on a variety of new services to be launched into the healthcare system. Our partners include groups at UHN, innovative clinicians and startups across North America, and large international medtech companies.
You can expect to have direct experiences with patients, their families, and care providers across all aspects of the healthcare. Your work will span from research all the way to implementation, and beyond. If you want to help execute end-to-end, human-centered products/services that impact how healthcare is delivered on a global scale, then we’d love to hear from you!
What you’ll be doing:
- Advocating for user!
- Providing team-wide leadership and mentorship on service design processes and methods
- Leading, planning, executing, and analyzing field research (observations, stakeholder/user interviews), articulating user needs, and existing workflows
- Leading, planning, facilitating, and synthesizing stakeholder workshops
- Developing user scenarios, journey maps, system maps, service blueprints
- Engaging in design reviews, both as a presenter and as a constructive critic
- Working with implementation teams to help successfully launch new services into the market/clinic
- Managing client communications (presenting research insights, ideas, and designs to clients and other stakeholders)
- Working with other senior members of the team to elevate the design practice across our wider team, the hospital network, and local communities
You should apply if you want:
- To have real and obvious positive impact in the world by bringing products and services life.
- A work culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity… for real.
- Generous benefits, vacation, and a pension plan. Yes, pensions still exist!
What you need to have:
- A deep passion for health/healthcare/patient-experience
- Substantial professional experience in service or experience design (4+ years)
- A love of strategy, service experience, & design process. We like design nerds.
- Ability to work in and lead teams to deliver delightful and effective services in complex environments
- A disposition towards action and making
- Experienced design researcher, able to plan, conduct and analyze complex workflows and patient journeys
- Strong visual design fundamentals; we are looking for someone who appreciates and has the ability to communicate visually
- Dynamic and engaging facilitator, able to guide the attention of a room full of care providers or patients
What would be nice to see:
- Experience working in healthcare and/or a clinical setting
- Human factors knowledge/experience
- Project leadership/management experience
- Direct client management experience
- Experience working in a design or creative consultancy
For your cover letter—we want to see something that shows us who you really are, why you really want to work with us, what value you would bring to our team, what you love about design + healthcare, and what books/blogs/podcasts you’re into. Also, in your portfolio, try to include some side projects that no one paid you for.
How to apply:
Send an email to Mike at design [at] humanfactors [dot] ca with these 3 items:
A cover letter—tell us why you’re the right person for this job, specifically.
Your resume or CV
A link to an online portfolio (or PDF)
None. First come, first serve.